Earlier in the week, we posed a question on our Facebook & Twitter accounts and it was a big one - how do you all feel about blu-ray and DVD combo packs? The results were a mixed bag - as you can imagine.
It seems the biggest problem a lot of people have in the 'Nay' camp is the whole feeling of waste that comes with combo packs - as many confirmed that they would only use the discs of one format over the other. It seems a lot of you 'Nays' are more upset about the waste of unused discs than just the general annoyance at the extra materials.
The other area of concern for the 'Nay' camp was the potential (or perceived) increase in cost of a combo pack vs a single-format standalone version. While some combo packs do come with an increase in price, this is not always necessarily the case.
From the response on both Facebook and Twitter, there were quite a few of you in the 'Yay' camp. Many were of the opinion that combo packs offered a more 'Complete Collection' of a TV series or film - as in, being able to own it on multiple formats. Just having the option of watching it on blu-ray or DVD seems to be a huge bonus in terms of buying such a set.
However, we do have to break the numbers down and it seems that the 'Nay' camp won out - but not by as much as you would think. Granted, this wasn't a hugely scientific poll and the sample size was fairly small - but those who did respond (and there were many!) were passionate in their arguments. And it seems to us that it's fairly representative of the attitude in general around combo packs with a 29% difference between the Nay and Yay camps, with Nay winning out.
This result offers us here at Anime Limited HQ plenty food for thought.
Glasgow, UK September 09, 2013 - Anime Limited, the Glasgow-based anime licensing company and parent company of All the Anime, are pleased to announce the release of the musical comedy anime series Nerima Daikon Brothers on DVD for the first time in the UK.
A hilariously original anime series loved for it’s send up of popular film and television tropes, Nerima Daikon Brothers stand out as a real innovator in the industry. It follows the exploits of brothers Hideki and Ichiro and their cousin Mako who are by day Daikon farmers, and by night nourish their dream of building a giant stadium to realise their destiny: to play sold out arenas! In order to fund this dream, they… acquire funding by taking out some bad guys and appropriating their cash.
Originally aired in 2006, Nerima Daikon Brothers heavily satirises anime, prominent people and groups in Japan. Drawing influence from other musical comedies (a rarity in the industry) such as The Blues Brothers and Bollywood musicals, Nerima Daikon Brothers throws reference to many well known and loved genres to support the stories.
Nermia Daikon Brothers will be released on a single DVD set in Q1 2014.
Andrew Partridge, founder and president of Anime Limited says: ‘Nerima Daikon Brothers is an innovative and hilarious series that we are proud to bring to the UK for the first time. It is an unusual series with a tremendous amount of laughs and reference humour. Things we really appreciate at Anime Limited’.
Glasgow, UK September 6, 2013 - Anime Limited, the Glasgow-based anime licensing company and parent company of All the Anime, are pleased to announce the release of the popular supernatural anime series Durarara!! on Blu-ray and DVD for the UK.
When a young boy named Mikado moves to the big city to live with his friend Masaomi, who promptly warns him who and where to avoid in Ikebukuro - including the mysterious gang called ‘The Dollars’. On his first day in Ikebukuro, Mikado meets an urban legend - the mysterious ‘Black Rider’, an Irish dullahan Celty Sturluson. What follows is a series of stories, characters and adventures that all intersect unfolding a wider ranging story arc.
Originally aired in early 2010, this supernatural thriller has become a popular and much loved anime series. The theme and the overall story quality of the series has led to fan and critical acclaim. Called ‘strangely addictive’ and ‘very highly recommended’ by Twitch Film, Durarara!! makes a great addition to the Anime Limited catalogue. Durarara!! will be released on two hybrid Blu-ray and DVD sets will be released in the first quarter of 2014.
Andrew Partridge, founder and president of Anime Limited says: ‘We’re very excited to be able to bring Durarara!! to the UK on Blu-ray and DVD. It’s a personal favourite of ours here at HQ so it’s great to add it to our growing catalogue!’
Back again for the August edition of the top sellers in the UK anime industry for folks to take a look at! As always some titles are a surprise in the line-up, others completely as expected. Commentary at the bottom!
|NEW TITLES TO AUGUST - TOP 10|
|1||COWBOY BEBOP - BOX 1||ANIME LIMITED|
|2||NARUTO SHIPPUDEN - WILL OF FIRE||MANGA UK|
|3||SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO||MANGA UK|
|4||HORIZON ON THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE - S1||MANGA UK|
|5||HELLSING ULTIMATE PT 1-4 COLLECTION||MANGA UK|
|6||KENICHI - THE MIGHTIEST DISCIPLE - 2||MANGA UK|
|7||CLANNAD - COMPLETE SERIES COLLECTION||MANGA UK|
|8||INU X BOKU COLLECTION||MVM|
|9||BAKEMONOGATARI PT 2||MVM|
|10||HELLSING - THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL SERIES||MANGA UK|
|OVERALL IN AUGUST|
|1||COWBOY BEBOP - BOX 1||ANIME LTD|
|2||MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO||STUDIO CANAL|
|3||POKEMON 4EVER||STUDIO CANAL|
|5||NARUTO SHIPPUDEN - THE WILL OF FIRE||MANGA UK|
|6||THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME||MANGA UK|
|7||SPIRITED AWAY||STUDIO CANAL|
|8||SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO||MANGA UK|
|9||HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE||STUDIO CANAL|
|10||FAIRY TAIL - COLLECTION 1||MANGA UK|
- To at the top of the top sellers and all titles list for the month, you had to sell just over 1,500 units.
- To be at the bottom of the top sellers for the month, you had to sell just over 520 units.
- To be at the bottom of the new titles list, you just had to sell over 135 units.
- Left out this month are Naruto Shippuden Movie Trilogy and EF - Tale of Memories due to lower sales, RahXephon and Lady Death due to their release dates they've not started tracking yet so they'll be listed next month.
- Between #1 and #2 of new titles for this month there's over 500 units difference, pretty big leap again!
- Meanwhile there's only just over 200 units difference between #1 and #2 of all catalog titles.
- Manga UK figures tend to include BD and DVD sales together, we're looking at breaking those down if we can!
- We're very pleased to see Cowboy Bebop at the top of the sales too for what it's worth too!
Once again, with the top sellers! Back on track time wise and getting them out on time - there's some interesting things kicking around here and we're trying something new by hot-linking the new releases to their Amazon pages, in case you didn't know they were out yet!
|NEW TITLES RELEASED IN JULY - TOP 10|
|1||DRAGON BALL Z - SEASON 8||MANGA UK|
|2||ONE PIECE - COLLECTION 2||MANGA UK|
|3||PERSONA 4 - BOX 3||KAZE SAS|
|4||STEINS GATE - PT 1||MANGA UK|
|5||CAT PLANET CUTIES||MANGA UK|
|6||ARIA THE SCARLET AMMO||MANGA UK|
|7||FAIRY TAIL - COLLECTION 1||MANGA UK|
|8||K-ON - SEASON 2 - PT 2||MANGA UK|
|9||UN-GO - COMPLETE SERIES||KAZE SAS|
|10||IS THIS A ZOMBIE - BOX SET||MVM|
|OVERALL IN JULY|
|1||DRAGON BALL Z - SEASON 8||MANGA UK|
|2||ONE PIECE - COLLECTION 2||MANGA UK|
|3||KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE||STUDIO CANAL|
|4||MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO||STUDIO CANAL|
|5||GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES||STUDIO CANAL|
|6||PERSONA 4 - BOX 3||KAZE SAS|
|7||STEINS GATE - PT 1||MANGA UK|
|8||POKEMON 4EVER||STUDIO CANAL|
|9||CAT PLANET CUTIES||MANGA UK|
|10||THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME||MANGA UK|
Interesting things to note this month:
- Top seller for both charts sold over 1,200 units this month, not the highest it's ever been but certainly not the lowest!
- Lowest seller for Overall this month sold over 550 units, while for July the lowest in the top 10 was over 250 units.
- Out of chart due to lower numbers was Tiger & Bunny Part 3 (not by much between it and #10), Iria Collection, Bakemonogatari Pt 1 and the Nightwalker Collection.
-  It's been pointed out to us that both Grave of the Fireflies and Kiki's Delivery Service had BD releases this month - which we'd usually have tracked but as no new catalogue number is showing it's hard to tell what sales were BD and what were DVD there. If we take their numbers at face value as 100% BD though (not an unreasonable assumption) this would place them in #3 and #4. Due to ambiguity we've opted to keep them clear in this case but are open to change that in future if people think there's a better way to manage them!
- Keep in mind Bakemonogatari had to recall all its Pt 1 stock though leading to lower than expected sales numbers, it's not necessarily a reflection of the title or fan interest in it!
- Unlike last month there is no huge unit divide between places in the overall charts - it's a pretty solid gradient for how many sold.
- ...however there's still a solid 400 unit difference between #2 and #3 for the new releases! Regular gradient decline in sales from there downwards though!
Hope this has intrigued folks - anything catch your eye there for the bestselling anime of July 2013? We'll be back with some more blog posts a bit later this month too so stay tuned!