Anime Limited Launches First UK Anime Kickstarter with Patema Inverted Definitive Edition
April 28, 2014 · 0 comments
Patema Inverted’s theatrical is round the corner – we’re touring the UK both with family and regular screenings, with some very interesting reviews and coverage in the works it seems here. We couldn’t be happier so far with the support everyone has had for this!
I’ve something else very cool to discuss though today – which is we’ve an amazing opportunity to deliver a Definitive edition for the film on schedule for no later than October MCM Expo. I’d like to talk a bit more about what we have in mind for that and why we’d like to ask for your support for the first ever Kickstarter(.co.uk) campaign for an anime.
HOW DEFINITIVE IS THE DEFINITIVE EDITION?
It’s fair to say we generate Critereon-esque releases often – but in this case what makes it so much more definitive that it requires a Kickstarter to run it?
Well so far we’ve negotiated and factored into the Deluxe edition:
– All the video and commentary extras from the Patema Inverted, Japanese Deluxe Edition. We’ll be translating those and including them on all editions. That’s just part of the job!
– The data from the Japanese booklet, a smaller version of which will go in the Collector’s Edition (26 pages). The full A5 booklet will be produced for the Deluxe edition.
– We’ve secured the right to use the same replica letter from Lagos that comes with the Japanese edition.
– The right to translate, print and include the full Official Design Works for Patema, as covered on Parka Blogs in Japanese.
– We’re designing larger form packaging to hold the Official Design Works, the Letter and the DVD + BD combination pack.
What we’re discussing already with Japan too [as stretch goals if we break the initial target]:
– Fresh, exclusive, illustrations for the Definitive Edition from the original character & background designers.
– The soundtrack as released in the Japanese Collector’s Edition.
– Additional written content if possible.
Basically – we loved this film so much we want you to get the absolute max out of the edition.
WHAT’S THE CATCH – WHY KICKSTARTER?
Basically this is the kicker – printing a book isn’t cheap, nor is large form packaging or putting everything in the box! It costs actually more than a set like Durarara!! which had 4 x BD50s (which are expensive++)!
This would mean a retail price on Amazon would be £84.99 as a minimum – which as we all know could mean massive discounts, or it could mean you get £4.99 off the amount.
Simply put – we can’t take the risk on that as this kind of release is a lot of time, effort and cost so to leave it up to chance is a very bad idea. So we’re opening the idea up as a Kickstarter instead to give everyone their chance to support the idea (or not) as you please and give you the chance to buy it at £40 via Kickstarter (or £35 to 200 very lucky early birds…).
This means – if you help us make it happen, you get the benefit of it exceptionally cheap even vs what retailers would offer it at. Plus you get it before it hits retail!
DOES THIS IMPACT ON MAI MAI MIRACLE AT ALL?
We’re a product company – so it doesn’t impact at all on Mai Mai Miracle. Separate product managers – I’m taking this project on personally as it’s actually pretty close to me so you don’t have to worry there.
WHEN WILL WE GET IT?
We’re shooting for end of summer or early Autumn – so September is pretty realistic on this front! Depends on how long translation of the book takes us though – but definitely before the year is out!
WHEN CAN WE SEE WHAT THE REWARD TIERS WILL LOOK LIKE?
Take a looksee now at this URL! You can even have it remind you when the campaign goes live!
All feedback and questions welcome! Plan is to launch on May 2nd alongside the theatrical launch!