Another month, another sales chart! Trying to close that gap on time it takes us to post these now as we know people are interested by how the shows are doing and this time the chart was compiled by me [Andrew] and as I’m feeling extra talkative [*], you’ll get an extra layer of commentary.
Highest sales overall:
|1||POKEMON 4EVER||CANAL UK|
|2||PERSONA 4 – THE ANIMATION – BOX 2||KAZE / VME|
|3||SPIRITED AWAY||CANAL UK|
|4||MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO||CANAL UK|
|5||THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME||MANGA UK|
|6||HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE||CANAL UK|
|8||OKAMI-SAN & HER 7 COMPANIONS – COMPLETE||MANGA UK|
|9||REDAKAI SEASON CONQUER THE KAIRU||MANGA UK|
|10||NARUTO SHIPPUDEN – BOX SET 12||MANGA UK|
Notes from El Presidente:
– To make this chart you had to sell more than 300 copies.
– HOWEVER to sit at the top of it – you had to sell under 1,050.
– The above range is not out of the ordinary for a regular month.
– With HMV returning to the picture now, the range may shift by a few hundred units from June.
Top sellers for new releases in April:
|1||PERSONA 4 – THE ANIMATION – BOX 2||KAZE / VME|
|2||OKAMI-SAN & HER 7 COMPANIONS – COMPLETE||MANGA UK|
|3||KING OF THORN||MANGA UK|
|4||NURA – RISE OF THE YOKAI CLAN – S1 PT 1||KAZE / VME|
|5||FRACTALE – THE COMPLETE SERIES||MANGA UK|
|6||TIGER & BUNNY – VOL 2 – EPS 8-17||KAZE / VME|
|7||OBLIVION ISLAND||MANGA UK|
|8||LOUPS GAROUS||MANGA UK|
|9||SHANA SERIES 2 PT 2||MVM|
|10||GA-REI-ZERO – COLLECTION||MVM|
Notes from El Presidente:
– To make the bottom of this chart you had to sell over 100 copies [EDIT: Apologies, Oblivion Island’s shift to April 1st threw us as it showed up on a different date in sales data]
– To reach the top of it you had to sell under 800 copies.
– The difference between #10 and Vampire Princess Miyu (which didn’t make the top 10) was very small.
BONUS FACTOID: Perfect Blue:
Also a small factoid for people, while it was stated that Perfect Blue didn’t do so well vs the price for reacquiring it in the UK before in a previous podcast from our friends at Manga UK – we think there may have been a bit of confusion over what they meant. BVA figures show it actually sold over 55,000 copies on DVD previously – a lot of which were pretty cheap but still represents lot of units!
That still puts it just inside Manga UK’s top 10 sellers of all time, so we suspect what was meant was that at the time everyone started looking for the license again it was in a rights management agency’s hands who wanted $$$$$$$$ for it beyond what was fair. When the rights reverted, the fee went back to something more reflective of its actual value. That said it also became much harder to find the correct rights holder at that point too!
Hope these figures are proving interesting to people! We’ll keep posting them up so long as there’s interest :).[*] OK – it’s that or focus on localising a booklet from French to English for one of Anime Ltd’s clients and I figure, why not procrastinate for a bit…